Zennie62 on YouTube

Monday, November 19, 2007

Report: Castillo agrees to four-year deal

The market value for a slightly above average second baseman is mind boggling.

The Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Second baseman Luis Castillo decided to stay with the New York Mets, reaching a preliminary agreement Sunday night on a $25 million, four-year contract, according to the Associated Press.
Castillo must pass a physical for the deal to be finalized, according to AP.

The three-time All-Star hit .296 for the Mets with 10 steals and 20 RBIs, who acquired him from Minnesota on July 30. He batted .304 with 18 RBIs for the Minnesota Twins.

Castillo also won three Gold Gloves and provided steady defense up the middle with shortstop Jose Reyes despite playing on a sore knee that limited his speed. The 32-year-old hit .316 in September, one of the few Mets who came through as the team collapsed and blew a seven-game lead.

Castillo's preliminary agreement came on the same day that two-time Cy Young Award winner Tom Glavine decided to leave the Mets and return to the Atlanta Braves, his original team. Glavine was given an $8 million, one-year contract after turning down a $13 million option to stay with New York and receiving a $3 million buyout.

On a busy weekend, the Mets also broke off talks with free-agent catcher Yorvit Torrealba. The sides had reached a preliminary agreement last week on a $14.4 million, three-year contract that was subject to a physical.

Report: Rivera to re-sign with Yanks

The linchpin to New York's bullpen is expected to dawn Yankee pinstripes for the next three seasons.

Veteran closer set to accept record deal for reliever
By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com

NEW YORK -- Mariano Rivera's icy negotiations with the Yankees may be reaching a thaw, as the future Hall of Fame closer appears primed to remain with the club.
According to a report published Sunday in the New York Post, Rivera is expected to accept the Yankees' three-year, $45 million contract offer early this week. Rivera had spent last week in the Dominican Republic conducting baseball clinics.

The Post reported that Rivera will meet with his representatives on Sunday. According to multiple reports, Rivera may have had interest in a fourth year being added to his contract.

Yankees senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner has said the team would hold firm with its offer, which would make Rivera baseball's highest-paid closer, eclipsing Billy Wagner's deal across town with the Mets, where he earns $10.5 million annually.

Rivera, who turns 38 on Nov. 29, has pitched for the Yankees since 1995, compiling an American League-record 443 saves in the regular season. The most dominant postseason pitcher of his generation, Rivera owns a Major League-record 34 more saves in the playoffs, where he has a 0.77 career ERA.

Rivera made 67 relief appearances for the Yankees in 2007, finishing with 30 saves while going 3-4 with a 3.15 ERA. His signing has been earmarked by Yankees general manager Brian Cashman as one of the club's priorities leading into the early offseason months, along with re-signing catcher Jorge Posada.

Hours before he could have discussed financial terms with other clubs, Posada reportedly agreed to a four-year, $52.4 million deal. Posada had a physical last week and an official announcement is expected shortly.

The Yankees are also continuing to hammer out the details of Alex Rodriguez's landmark 10-year, $275 million contract, just weeks after the likely American League MVP delivered word that he had opted out of contract during Game 4 of the World Series.

"It feels great," Steinbrenner told the Post. "There was never any question we wanted to keep all of them. Obviously, they are being paid very well. Alex was the thing nobody expected, and he came through."

Visit the new Zennie62.com

Google Analytics Alternative